Friday, 21 November 2008

DC day 1: All square

As a British tennis fan I find it hard to get excited about Davis Cup.

I really like the history behind the event, and the atmosphere in some
of the ties is like nothing else, but for me DC is synonomous with
Britain being humbled by Ecuador and other tennis minnows.

So while others get revved up by DC fever I'm usually slightly
disinterested.

But it's hard not to get excited about Spain V Argentina, even without
Rafa.

My (slightly rash?) prediction for the weekend was that Argentina
would win 4-1. It's still mathematically possible but Lopez downing
Del Potro in 3 today was a massive result which leaves the tie
delicately balanced.

I'm sticking with Argentina - still reckon they will be too strong -
but the dubs will be crucial...

3 comments:

freakyfrites said...

The one thing I love about DC is that the doubles REALLY matters. Also it's five sets and no dumb super tie breakers. Even when the DC competition leaves something to be desired, I still look forward to the DUBs! Going to set my DVR device right now. . .

John said...

A tremendous start for Nalbandian but a disappointing ending for Del Potro. That is how you can summarized the overall performance from Day 1.

David Nalbandian was just perfect on every aspect of his game and he could do no wrong. Ferrer did had his moments where I felt that he could pull something, but Nalbandian gave him no room for revival. This was the one of the best performance
from Nalbandian that I've seen in a while.

I have to admit that I was expecting Del Potro to give us a 2-0 lead. But I can put the blame entirely on him as he was carrying a minor injury during the game. I'm sure he will look back with plenty determination to win on Sunday.

Now here comes the moment which I fear the most. Just like what happened, it will be the double event that might be crucial for Argentina on their Davis Cup quest. I hope Nalbandian/Calleri can pull something out of this but Spain will have plenty of confidence following Feliciano's win. We'll see how things goes.

In the meantime, please check out my re-cap on the matches from Day 1. Of course, your feedback is highly appreciated.

http://mundoalbiceleste.blogspot.com/2008/11/davis-cup-final-day-1-mixed-fortunes.html

Steve said...

Hey freaky - hope you enjoyed the dubs

John - sorry about the result my friend.