Wednesday 5 November 2008

The audacity of hope



I'm a friend of the US. I admire the country's values around freedom and opportunity, I grew up on American pop culture, and above all I'm grateful for what America has given the world.

Andre, Serena, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Sesame Street, Michael Jackson, the iPod, the Marshall Plan, and the lives of thousands of young men who died in the World Wars. These and countless other gifts to the world, are what make America great.

So it troubles me that America's reputation and standing abroad has taken such a hit in the past few years - there’s far too much knee-jerk anti- Americanism in Europe and beyond. The election of Barack Obama is a truly historic moment, and a wonderful opportunity for 'change'.

He comes to office with impossibly high expectations but if he can achieve only one thing it should be to restore the health of the US brand and re-connect with the global community.

So good luck Obama we're all counting on you.

[OK, that’s the first - and probably last - political post from me. Normal service will resume tomorrow]


#end

No comments: