Tuesday 23 December 2008

Bjorn Borg prize for getting out at the top



A special award for a special person, and no prizes for guessing who bags this one.

It is of course Justine Henin.

Even now I still can't quite understand her decision, but you have to hand it to her, she exited tennis in the same way she played the game, with dignity, style, and on her own terms.

I can't imagine we will ever again see a No 1 ranked player and a defending Champion of two Slams, quit at only 25. Astonishing.

How i miss that backhand.

We had hoped Justine would be here to pick the award up in person but unfortunately no one seems to know where she is or what she is doing.

3 comments:

NBP said...

I somehow think I understand her decision to retire. As you said, she left on her own terms and she felt she had already achieved all the things she wanted in the game. Wanted to retire at the top.

First visit to your site. Nice blog.

http://newballspleaseblog.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve, how are you? I hope you're having a great holiday season! And I'm looking forward to another year of Top spin tennis blog postings!

As for Justine, I really believe that she's going to be back. It would just take a little effort because I don't think the game has passed her by yet.

Dave from Tennis DVDs said...

I miss Justine playing. You could always guarantee some exciting matches between the top players at the Grand Slams when she was around.