Wednesday 14 May 2008

Justine, say it ain't so


Justine Henin is one of my favourite players on the women's tour. I've always admired her game - that one handed backhand! - but also the way she has punched above her weight and size to win almost everything in the game.

So I was really surprised and disappointed to hear that the World No 1 and reigning French Open, US Open, and Olympic champion is retiring with immediate effect. I guess every great champion wants to bow out at the top, but at only 25 year's old this decision feels premature.

The French Open won't be the same without her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. Justine was my fav current player also. I would hate to see the women's game dominated by six foot plus two-handed players with big serves.

It is sad to see Justine quit at such a young age. I hope she does not regret it in a few years time.

Anonymous said...

Hello. I actually think she'll be making a comeback in a couple of years: I can't see her finding something else that will give her that feeling of domination she appeared to thrive on.

tennischick said...

Why couldn't she just take a break? I don't get this. I wonder also about her obligation to sponsors -- what becomes of that?